Monday, November 1, 2010

Mindful Eating

With gratitude, I spent the weekend at the Great Vow Zen Monastery, taking in a new world and learning about mindful eating. Our retreat was led by Jan Chozen Bays. She is a pediatrician, Zen Master and author of Mindful Eating. Her book is a guide to rediscovering a healthy and joyful relationship with food - the relationship we had as an infant and toddler. We simply ate when we were hungry and stopped when we were full.

There are very few people I know that don't have issues with food; fear of certain foods, constant dieting, anxiety about bad and good foods, obesity, anorexia, and bulimia. With mindful eating we can create peace with food. After all food is truly a gift, and should be enjoyed. During the retreat I found myself enjoying my food more, being less hungry and eating smaller portions. It was really a great experience and would recommend it to anyone.

I am considering offering a six week class on mindful eating, where we would read the book and do exercises together. Please leave a comment or email me if you are interested.

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic...and definitely an approach that Jake and I am explored over the last year. Maybe it would work out that you come to one of my Mindful Living nights and talk a little on the subject. I would be interested in taking the course with you:) Here's to Mindful Living!

    ReplyDelete