Thursday, November 5, 2009

Nutrient Dense Breakfasts

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Maybe it is because I am breaking the fast of the previous 12 hours, and I am really hungry. Or because I love breakfast foods in general, especially farm fresh eggs.

Here are some of my favorite nutrient dense breakfasts:
Oatmeal - My all time favorite that I could eat every day. I purchase organic steel cut oats in bulk from Azure Standard, and mix in peanut butter, cinnamon, ground flax seeds and raisins. Sometimes I'll put in some molasses, maple syrup or raw sugar.
Poached Eggs - My favorite way to eat poached eggs is on either toasted multigrain and seed cereal or Grandma's Grain Recipe. Take the time to seek out farm fresh eggs - the nutrition and flavor of eggs from chickens eating their natural diet of bugs and grubs does not compare to store bought eggs.
Teff Cereal - Teff is the world's smallest grain, with a bit of a nutty flavor and high in fiber, protein, and minerals such as calcium, copper, and iron this is an excellent choice to start of the day. I mix the cooked cereal with some banana, chopped pecans, cinnamon, some flax and raw milk for a yummy breakfast. You can use any leftover cooked teff and mix with cocoa powder, vanilla and maple syrup to mix up some chocolate pudding. The recipe can be found on Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain Teff package.

Do you have a favorite breakfast to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment